Creatively respond to or reinterpret a historical document(s) from either the Freedmen and Southern Society Project or Visualizing Emancipation (both NEH-funded sites), citing the primary source you are using. Possible submission formats include, but are not limited to: a short essay, a first-person narrative, a letter, a one scene play, a poem, a blog post, a video, an original song, or a digital recording. If you are interested in submitting media content, please attach a brief abstract along with your work. When you are finished, upload your entry to our form below. Please read our additional legal guidelines* and follow our submission requirements** before submitting your project.
Final deadline to submit entries: October 5th
*Contestants agree (1) to comply with NEH’s rules and other requirements for this Contest which are binding and final in all matters; (2) to release and hold harmless NEH, its partners and affiliated entities in administering or promoting the Contest for any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to copyright or other intellectual property rights, arising out of or relating to your entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Contest, acceptance or use or misuse of prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of entry; and (3) to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless NEH from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees arising out of or relating to your participation in the Contest and/or your acceptance, use or misuse of award.
**1. Submissions must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or material that constitutes copyright or license infringement.
2. Submissions must not include trademarks, brand names, or endorsements of private products, services, or enterprises.
3. The use of U.S. Federal agencies’ seals or logos is prohibited.
4. Submissions must not contain violence, profanity, sexually explicit content, or personal attacks on people or named organizations.
5. NEH will not consider submissions containing any material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, or in any way disparaging.
6. NEH will not consider submissions containing any material that promotes bigotry, racism, or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
7. NEH will not accept any submissions containing any matter, which in the agency’s sole discretion, is in obvious bad taste, which demonstrates a lack of respect for public morals or conduct, or which adversely affects the reputation of the sponsor.
8. Submissions must not include any personally identifying information (e.g., full name, address, social security number, etc.).
9. Submissions must not contain material that violates any applicable Federal law.